Negative impacts of a criminal record.
Criminal records can impact a person’s life by disqualifying them from financial aid, or higher education admission; public housing and other federal and state assistance programs; the ability to find gainful employment, and a place to live. Even when a person is exonerated of a crime, proof of an arrest may still show up on public social platforms, including mugshots, making it difficult to conceal a criminal past. Laws for expungement and sealing of criminal records may keep a person’s criminal past from negatively affecting their life. Florida Statute 943.059 rules are complicated, often requiring the assistance of Punta Gorda DUI lawyers.
Punta Gorda criminal law attorneys may be a worthwhile lifetime investment for individuals who need legal representation against charges for committing criminal activities, including white collar crimes; drug use and distribution; criminal theft; vehicular manslaughter and DUI in Florida. Criminal DUI charges in Florida include driving under the influence resulting in DUI manslaughter, homicide, intoxicated reckless driving and hit-and-run charges. Other traffic encounters that may result in criminal charges include reckless/careless driving, road rage, vehicular homicide, manslaughter, and resisting arrest, or attempts to elude law enforcement.
DUI charges and penalties in Punta Gorda Florida
- A person is guilty of the offense of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol when driving is affected to the extent that physical faculties are impaired under Florida Statute 316.193.
- Experienced Florida DUI attorneys can assist with questions about penalties that depend on factors including blood alcohol level, age, property damage, physical injury and repeat offender status, resulting in misdemeanor to felony offense DUI outcomes may involve costly fines of $500-$5,000, driver’s license suspension and/or revocation, and jail time of 6 months to several years when warranted, along with the state-mandated use of an ignition interlock device. Florida DUI lawyers know how to leverage reduced charges in certain situations.
- Damage to property, or person is considered a misdemeanor of the first degree,
- Serious bodily injury is considered a felony of the third degree,
- Hit and run could yield very serious penalties in accordance withFlorida Statute § 316.062. Driving under the influence lawyers in Punta Gorda may take legal actions to have charges reduced when possible.
Protecting driving privileges.
Drinking is a common social activity in the United States and people do not think twice about having wine with dinner, or a few beers while attending sporting events, or meeting up with friends after work for a few cocktails. Sadly, many people do not realize that they are impaired and get behind the wheel of their car after one of these social meetings. When individuals are arrested for DUI, there is a possibility of license suspension, or revocation as well as jail time, and in the worst case scenario, negative impacts to employment and housing can occur. It is best to speak with a skilled driving under the influence attorney in Punta Gorda Florida after an arrest for DUI who can take steps to minimize the penalties associated with your case.
Separate legal processes.
After a drunk driving arrest, there will be court proceedings and administrative proceedings that will need to be navigated by someone who understands the mechanisms of each and how these legal activities can impact the future of an individual arrested for DUI in Punta Gorda Florida.
- Court proceedings. It is paramount to hire a Florida DUI attorney in Punta Gorda after a DUI offense because legal proceedings in court can easily go sideways without an advocate who understands Florida law. An individual charged with DUI must make a first appearance within 24 hours of the DUI arrest where charges will be outlined; an arraignment will follow; a pretrial conference will be set several weeks after the arraignment to negotiate charges; motions for evidentiary hearings to discuss key issues and admissibility of evidence will be undertaken and argued if a plea bargain has not been made; trial is the final court proceeding in DUI cases. Most Florida DUI cases are resolved before this point with the services of a Florida criminal DUI attorney.
- Administrative proceedings. Florida Statute 322.2615 provides for the immediate administrative suspension of a driver’s license after DUI arrests for a blood-alcohol level, or breath-alcohol level of 0.08, or higher; or refusal to submit to a breath, blood, or urine test.
Hire a Punta Gorda DUI lawyer.
Experienced DUI attorneys at the Law Offices of Michael M. Raheb can assist individuals charged with DUI in both court and administrative proceedings to protect against negative future impacts to their livelihood because of the charges.
The Law Offices of Michael M. Raheb, P.A.
2423 First Street,
Fort Myers FL 33901
Fax Number: 866-949-0888